The Presidential Election Petitions Court dismissed the petition of the United People’s Movement as lacking merit and an abuse of court process.
The court, after considering the grounds of the petition, said the PEPC lacked jurisdiction to consider the matter as it was a pre-election issue and the petitioners should have discussed the matter before the elections. Federal High Court.
The court further said that the procedure for qualifying any candidate for election is provided for in the Constitution, particularly Article 131(1), and therefore said the petition filed by APM before the court was ineligible.
All other reliefs sought by the petitioners are denied. Taking into account the evidence presented to the court, the leader of the five-judge panel found that the entire rationale centered on the alleged invalidity of the senatorial nomination. Kassim Shettima, after considering all the paragraphs of the petition and the responses of the respondents, found that as the sitting Senator of Borno Central Senatorial District, his nomination as Vice President at that time amounted to double Nominated.
However, the qualifications or disqualifications of candidates are clearly defined in the Constitution and are decided separately by the Supreme Court. No other law can conflict with the Constitution.
The petitioner has failed to establish from oral and documentary evidence any specific reason why the court should grant its prayer.
Regarding the allegation that the APC did not conduct any primaries to nominate the Vice President, the petitioners erred because it was within the constitutional powers of the President to nominate his running mate and therefore the petitioners’ position was discounted.
After addressing all the issues raised against the petitioner, the petition has no merit.
Today, I am proud to announce that our commitment to the well-being of dedicated workers in Kebbi State has taken a significant step forward. I issued an important directive during a recent meeting with the leadership of the Kebbi branch of the Nigeria Labor Congress (NLC) at the Government House in Birnin Kebbi.
I have ordered annual leave payments to be paid immediately to all categories of workers across the state. This move is designed to ensure our workers get their fair share of what they truly deserve. Starting tomorrow, Wednesday, we will begin the payment process and all of our staff, whether in state, local government or Local Government Education Agency (LGEA), will receive a flat rate of 10% of their annual salary.
I would like to stress that this decision was based on considerations of fairness and justice. In my capacity as governor and as someone who understands the inner workings of our state, I know that previous administrations only provided subsidies of 7 to 8 percent to certain categories of workers, leaving only a lucky few at the 10 percent level.
Recognizing the challenges our people face, I want to assure you that I am part of a presidential committee that has been working hard to develop measures to mitigate the impact of the removal of fuel subsidies. So far, we have received N2 billion from the N5 billion promised by the federal government and Kebbi State and its 21 local government councils will contribute N3.5 to N4 billion to purchase food grains for distribution, thus easing the subsidy Cancel.
I wish to assure the NLC that you will receive your fair share individually and distribute it among your members. Remember, this is not just my government; This is your government, and I encourage you to have faith in our shared vision.
We have begun projects that directly benefit our people and we are committed to making our country a better place. Among our initiatives, we are actively in discussions with Innocent Motors Nigeria Limited for the procurement of vehicles for the National Transport Service, which will help subsidize the cost of transport for our citizens.